MeLCat Book Bands and Labels
Materials on MeLCat loan--those sent to the borrowing library for pickup as well as those checked out to MeLCat visiting patrons--need to be clearly marked outside the item in order to:
Library staff have three approved options for identifying MeLCat loans:
- identify (or brand) the MeLCat borrowing service for our users; and
- identify MeLCat loans for our library staff who process these materials.
- book bands;
- book labels;
- INN-Reach paging slips used as book bands.
NOTE: MeLCat paging slips must be included with each item loaned, whether or not they are used as book bands.
MeL Book Band--2 across, 8.5 wide: PDF Version and Word Version
MeL Book Band--3 across, 8.5 wide: PDF Version and Word Version
MeL Book Band--3 across, 11 wide: PDF Version and Word Version
MeL Book Label: PDF Version and Word Version
MeL Mini Book Label: PDF Version and Word Version
Paging Slip Templates for Use as Bookbands
The Lending Library
The lending/owning library decides how to identify its items on MeLCat loan. The lending library is responsible for:
The book band or label is supposed to stay on the item until it is returned to the lending library; however, the paging slip may be removed by the borrowing library before the item is returned.
- attaching the book bands, labels or paging slips to the items upon checkout to the borrowing library or upon checkout to a MeLCat visiting patron,
- making sure the lending library's name is on the band or label, and
- (optional) writing in the name of the borrowing library to which they are sending the item, or the name of the patron's library used for a visiting patron loan.
Patron Due Date
The library that lends the item directly to the patron may put the patron's due date for the item on the band or label. Inclusion of the patron's due date is optional; libraries may use whatever date due slip is their local policy, as long as they don't remove the MeL band or label.
Two versions of the MeLCat book bands and labels are provided for copying--PDF and Word. The Word versions are provided so that lending libraries may add their names and addresses before copying. The book bands may be copied on 8 ½ x 11 paper or larger, as needed. White is the recommended color, but is not required.
The labels are sized for copying on label stock such as Avery label 6464. The labels should be removable, rather than have permanent adhesive. Avery label 5164 is NOT recommended, because it is not removable. It is used by some libraries to label packages for statewide delivery.